Douglas Cup – Round 13 – Day Two

ANU 146 (H.Medhurst 3-40) & 3/111 (SW.Murn 57) defeated by Weston Creek 305 (JW.Rogers 123, H.Medhurst 47, SW.Murn 6-60) on first innings.

Play commenced on day two with ANU 2-32 after Weston Creek posted a 305 run total in the first innings. Leerdam and McKnight were the players at the crease but unfortunately for ANU they weren’t out there for long. With their middle order failing to steady the wickets just kept falling for ANU until they found themselves in an undesirable position of 6-78. Nick Groenewegen got off to a good start and managed to combine with Mitchell for 30-runs but was bowled by Medhurst on 25 runs to leave the home side flailing at 9-138. All out for 146 runs, Creek decided to enforce the follow on and send ANU back into bat. Trying to change things up, Chivers was promoted up the order to open with Clements but Medhurst wasn’t phased and dismissed the new opener for 10. Scott Murn was good with the bat and finished unbeaten on 57 runs with ANU 3-111 at the end of play.

Western District UC 212 (B.Duffy 43, D.Hesse 4-37) defeated by Tuggeranong 9-343 (dec) (T.Floros 86, M.Rogers 53, B.Duffy 3-68) on first innings.

Wests were 1-25 at stumps on day one with a daunting task ahead chasing Tuggeranong’s first innings total of 343. Tuggeranong’s Daniel Hesse struck early to dismiss Wests captain Matt Condon (29). Hesse went on to pick up another three wickets – with Cooke, Engelbrecht and Bartlett all falling victim for just 11 runs. A good partnership from Brendan Duffy (43) and Jordan Smith (34) created a handy 65 runs but it wasn’t enough for the home side who fell short by 131 runs to lose on first innings. Shane Devoy was good with ball finishing with 3-65, but it was Hesse who lead the way with 4-37 from just his 12 overs.

North Canberra-Gungahlin 198 (C.Zhang 52, J.Allen 6-46) & 7-195 (dec) defeated by Queanbeyan 191 (T.Van Luin 56) & 2-206 (V.Dukoski 100, M.Spaseski 95) on first innings.

In one of the most exciting run-chases in memory Queanbeyan toppled a stunned North Canberra-Gungahlin for an outright victory on Saturday afternoon.

Commencing day two of play with Queanbeyan at 5-145 any chance of a victory looked unlikely with Liam Trevaskis skittling the remaining batsman for just 46 runs in his six-wicket haul.  

With Queanbeyan 7-runs behind on first innings, North Canberra – Gungahlin returned to the crease. Good starts from Zhang (35), Tresvaskis (31) and Low-McMahon (37) helped lead the home side to 7-195 before Norths skipper Rowan Wight made the risky decision to declare just 202 runs ahead in an attempt to go for the outright victory.

What Wight didn’t count on was what happened next. Queanbeyan openers Dukoski and Spaseski combined for an unbelievable 202 runs from just 95 balls to equal Norths score before Spaseski was bowled by Ryan in the 17th over. Kel Evans had the opportunity to hit the winning runs but Ryan delayed the inevitable to send him back to the dugouts for a duck and allow Tyler van Luin the honours. He did just that, hitting a boundary to finish the game with 2-6 runs in 17.5 overs and win the match outright.

Dukoski’s 100 run innings included four boundaries and nine maximums while Spaseski’s 95 was made up of seven boundaries and seven sixes.

Ginninderra 9-323 (L.Ryan 62, H.Page 4-79) defeated Eastlake 322 (R.Bartley 71, PK.Malveney 51) on first innings

A full team batting effort has seen Ginninderra pull of a brilliant run chase on Saturday to defeat Eastlake in the first innings.

Starting the day on 0-29 chasing 323 for victory, Balinder Singh Khillan and Jordie Misic got the side off to a positive start with a 49-run partnership. Hayden Page got the breakthrough wicket to dismiss Misic but the wickets weren’t frequent enough to stop the flow of runs. Every Tiger batsman got off a strong start with all player’s bar one hitting over 20 runs.  

Lukey Ryan was the pick of the batsman with his knock of 62 and he was well supported by Delaney (46) and Lelievre (47) to bring the game well and truly into the grip of the Tigers.

It was a tight finish in the end with Ginninderra down to their last wicket still needing 15 runs for victory. It was a gallant effort from tail-enders Willcox and Hatton who held strong and got their team over the line in the 103rd over.